We are half-way through the summer and our 50th Anniversary year.
As a business, reaching a corporate milestone like the 50th Anniversary is significant. It’s a time for celebration and reflection. How did we arrive here? Are there things we would have done differently? Was there a tipping point?
And, how did history shape our development?
We thought it would be interesting to take a quick step back in time to reflect upon what was happening in the world in 1969, the year Municipal Development Company (Arlington Properties), was founded. It was clearly a year of innovation and firsts. Here is what it looked like then…
- The Beatles’ last public performance occurred on the roof of Apple Records
- First Concorde test flight is conducted In France, Boeing 747 jumbo jet makes its debut
- Woodstock attracts more than 350,000 rock-n-roll fans
- PBS Established and the Muppet’s launched
- The first man is landed on the moon on the Apollo 11 mission by the United States and Neil Armstrong and Edwin ‘Buzz’ Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the Moon
- 250,000 people march on Washington in protest of the Vietnam War
- Hurricane Camillehits the Mississippi coast killing 248 people
- Wal-Mart incorporates as Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Bell Bottom Jeans and tie-dye shirts become part of the teenage fashion scene
- Popular Films included the The Love Bug, Funny Girl and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Denver, Simon and Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Marvin Gaye, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, Pink Floyd, Elton and David Bowie, rocked the airwaves
It was a busy time and things were changing. It was a pivotal year in history.
What did multifamily look like in 1969? How did Arlington become what it is today?
Take a look at our 50th Anniversary video, and learn about Arlington then, and now.